Friday, September 19, 2008

The Journey 09-19-08


It has been in my heart for a long time to move out of my home city, at least for a while. Last year God gave me a strong impression in my spirit to really move out. One confirmation came during last year's pastors and workers conference in Cebu. Since then the impression never left me but remained strong.


Sometime in February this year I started to think that perhaps the right time would not be too soon. I continued life as it was, working in information technology, serving the church of Calvary, and moving forward with my social life. I even became an elder in the church during that month.


As time went on the impression got stronger as I spent time in the Word of God. Finally in May I approached my pastor after our midweek Bible study and told him that I believed God was calling me out (of Iloilo City).


We prepared the church and the ministry for four months. This was the start of the ministry called Tim Time where I taught through the whole books of 1 and 2 Timothy on Friday nights. It was a discipleship class with the intent to lay a solid foundation for those who had a desire to serve in the ministry of Calvary Chapel of Iloilo.



I also prepared my work place in that I gave them enough time to look for a replacement since my position as Training and Development Officer for Eversun Software was not to be taken lightly.


A resignation would place the company in a transition. So two months before I quit I informed them of my plans, finally submitting my resignation on July 31 which was effective on September 1.


Come September I was no longer employed.

I had no visible confirmation of what God wanted me to move forward with until the first week of September. A contact from the U.S.A. wanted to start a new business and he considered me the co-founder since it was during one of our chats that the idea came to him and he was able to draft a business plan. The business is online so I can take my work anywhere in the world with an Internet connection. This is enough to sustain me as I travel. Thank God for Xoom.com.

August 29, 2008. I announced to my discipleship group during Tim Time that I was leaving and that the reason for the discipleship group was because I was leaving. I wanted them to be fully equipped to serve the Lord in my absence.

September 7, 2008. I announced to the church congregation that I was leaving for Singapore.

That Sunday morning I was also privileged to give the message while my pastor took a break from teaching.

After the message, communion, and worship I made the announcement.

The last eight days from September 7 to September 14 was my final preparation in Iloilo. I spent time with my girlfriend, church, and family as I was preparing to go.




September 13, 2008 we celebrated my dad's birthday. I wanted my trip to come after the birthday and not before.


September 14, 2008 was my last Sunday service in Iloilo. The church prepared a lunch fellowship in order to bid me farewell as I step out in faith. Pastor Mark released me to go and the church commended me to God's grace.


I'm glad my family was in front praying with me.


Before I left the church compound, I played my last song (for now) -- "This Man" by Jeremy Camp.

To all I leave behind, may God's grace sustain you. I will land on Singapore on September 21.


"And see, now I go bound in the spirit...so that I may finish my race with joy, and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God." - Acts 20:22,24

No comments: