Sunday, June 24, 2007

The Gift That is Nanay



Nanay was my grandmother. I call her by that Filipino word which means "mother" rather than what we normally use for grandmothers ("lola"). At 81 years old, she passed away in a hospital bed on June 7, 2007 at 10:15 A.M. I received a phone call ten minutes later at my office that Nanay had passed.


The effect on me was emotional. I mourned her physical death, yet I have the assurance that she's with the Lord Jesus Christ in heaven, having had a personal relationship with Him in her lifetime. Nanay had suffered from the stroke since August 2005, and has spent her last year living in my home city, Iloilo. She's originally from Manila. The conclusion of her race of faith was here, and she spent most of the time inside my parents' house, where I live.


I would spend time with her in her room and read her the Bible and pray with her. She was no longer capable of reading, and the right side of her body was mostly paralyzed. This was my main ministry to my grandmother -- to make sure she stayed close to the Lord. I even remember one night where we had worship right in her room, and I led worship with the guitar. She was singing her heart out to the Lord, although she couldn't articulate her words very well anymore.



Nanay was a gift to me. I grew up knowing her as Nanay. She was a second mother to me and to my sister, and she would always communicate her love to us, especially when we're staying in Manila. Growing up, I would go to Manila frequently, every year or two, most times with my mom, and I would stay at my grandparents' house. I would say she's the most excellent cook I had ever known. And I doubt that anyone in our family has been able to cook as excellent as she has. She was a master chef around the house.



Nanay finished her race strong. I know she's in heaven worshipping our Savior, and rejoicing in His love and faithfulness. The suffering is over. She is finally home. Nanay lived to see her great grandchild and to carry her in her arms, who happens to be my niece. She is an example of what it is to be a mother.

I still remember the last conversation I had with her before she had the stroke. It was the last time we talked wherein she was still able to articulate words. It was July 2005, and my parents were both in Manila and I was left alone in Iloilo. I talked to Nanay over the phone and she asked how I was doing, being alone in the house. I said I was doing fine and I can manage. Then she asked, "Pwde ka na pala mag-asawa?", and I replied yes. Sometimes relatives who haven't seen me in a while still imagine me as a child. But then they realize how old I am after a while. I would always remember that last conversation and if I ever get married, Nanay would be one of the people in my mind. I would be thinking about her, and though she wouldn't be there among the guests, my thoughts will include her.

Now it's time to continue my race. I want to finish strong as well...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Naniniwala rin ako na your Nanay is happy in the Lord's arms na and it's time to move on.
Wow, I think having our grandparents around is one of the best things life! (I grew up separately from them though..) But still, they are precious gifts who played a great role in molding us to become the person that we are now.

P.S.
Oo nga Kuya, mag-asawa ka na kaya?!

Hehehe..peace!
^_^ YEN